Wednesday, 27 June 2012

moar artsy fartsy

Hey guys! So yeah. Erm... last time I posted I could find all of the prints I'd done, so without further ado!

The above print was an epic fail. I did more batik, and it was supposed to be based on the suits of cards, but my retarded hands coupled with hot wax, and a broken tjanting resulted in this. I even forgot to mark the final red square!

The above prints I did with screens. Just lined up some dyes and paper circles and went! Quite fun and I really like the textures.

The above print was done with screens and a stencil that I made form a tracing. Printed onto black poly- cotton, I had to use a really small squeegee (they're the tools you use to print with) to get the different colours for each fist. I'm really proud of this one. I may use it in my first collection!

So, I repeated the fist print! I did it on white satin this time, cos I plan to make pillows for my family with the fabric. One word of advice, DON'T DO IT. The fabric kept slipping and I made a lot of marks and staining which I wish could've been avoided. Ah well. #YOLO

Ash x

Monday, 4 June 2012

artsy fartsy.

Hey guys! I haven't updated in the longest while... been really busy and not that motivated. However, here I am.

Now some of you that know me, know that I dream of becoming a fashion designer some day. And so to reach that dream I've been attending a short course on textile printing at university. Even though I do find it a little basic, it's really fun!

This print in purple above was the first one that I'd ever done. I used a pre- mixed purple dye, and some cut outs of flower shapes to achieve this. 

The two above are the second prints that I did. I was strapped for inspiration, and so I just used Hangul! ^^ Thankyou Korea, for taking up most of my free time haha. I sketched out the characters on tracing paper, and then using carbon paper I made a stencil. I then used three different dyes to achieve this look. The top one was just inspired by my Caribbean heritage.... the second was just whichever dyes I could get my hands on.

The above textile print was achieved with batik. Batik, or wax resist is done by making patterns with hot wax, then allowing to to dry and staining the fabric with dyes. It was really fun to do, but I burned myself on the hot wax. FAIL.

I have a few other prints which I left on campus, like the dunce I am. I'll show you soon.

Next session, I'm going to try and do another print as an example that I can use for my brand! ^^ I want to do something Caribbean inspired. I'll keep you posted.

Ash x